Monday, July 17, 2006

So who actually enjoyed graduating?

Jo details how Antonia has finally got round to actually graduating (Oxford takes rather longer than most universities it seems) and comments on the ceremony:

(Did you enjoy the ceremony, Jo?)
...
About as much as I enjoy any ceremony conducted in Latin, filled with the joys of pomp and pageantry, whilst being seated on the most uncomfortable wooden benches in the world...
...
Even the subject of the ceremony agreed with my analysis of the situation and has been overheard advising people to take a book with them when it's their turn...
I've written about the tedium of graduation ceremonies before and wonder if Oxford offered Antonia the option to receive her certificate in the post. Having found them all to be interminably dull, I am strongly minded to skip mine when I finish my PhD.

Has anyone ever actually been to a graduation ceremony and not found it to be a tedious bore?

2 comments:

Sir-C4' said...

I enjoyed mine, most because Pro-Vice Chancellor hates my guts.

I must say that Antonia and her father both look Boris Johnson in that photograph they had taken together.

Well done again to Antonia.

Paul Burgin said...

I like the costume and the social events that can take place around it, but that's about it!
I was just greatful that my surname was pronounced correctly when it was my turn.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...