Sunday, May 17, 2009

Words to say to Speaker Martin

There are two quotations from parliamentary history that should not be used lightly but the present circumstances demand it. First the words of another Speaker on his role and speaking from the chair:
I have neither eyes to see nor tongue to speak in this place but as the House is pleased to direct me, whose servant I am here.
(William Lenthall to Charles I in 1642.)

And the great words said twice when the nation needed leadership:
You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!
(Originally said by Oliver Cromwell to the Rump Parliament when dissolving it; then said by Leo Amery during the Norway Debate of 1940.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...